To learn the source of a specific fact, please reach out at email@example.com so we can direct you.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Bulimia.com. (2017). Finding the Best Anorexia, Bulimia and Eating Disorder Treatment for Men. Retrieved from https://www.bulimia.com/topics/men/
- Cash, T. F., & Deagle, E. A. (1997). The nature and extent of body‐image disturbances in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa: A meta‐analysis. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 22(2), 107-126.
- Federici, A. & Kaplan, A.S. (2008). The Patient’s Account of Relapse and Recovery in Anorexia Nervosa: A Qualitative Study. European Eating Disorders Review, 16, 1-10. DOI: 10.1002/erv.813
- Government of Alberta. (2017). Population. Retrieved from: http://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Population
Government of Canada. (2017). About mental illness. Retrieved from Government of Canada website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/about-mental-illness.htm
Holland, G., & Tiggemann, M. (2016). A systematic review of the impact of the use of social networking sites on body image and disordered eating outcomes. Body Image, 17, 100-110.
Holtom-Viesel, A., & Allan, S. (2014). A systematic review of the literature on family functioning across all eating disorder diagnoses in comparison to control families. Clinical Psychology Review, 34(1), 29-43.
Hotta, M., Shibasaki, T., Masuda, A., Imaki, T., Demura, H., Ling, N., & Shizume, K. A. Z. U. O. (1986). The responses of plasma adrenocorticotropin and cortisol to corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and cerebrospinal fluid immunoreactive CRH in anorexia nervosa patients. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 62(2), 319-324.
Katzman, D. K. (2005). Medical complications in adolescents with anorexia nervosa: a review of the literature. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 37(S1), S52-S59
Kelly, A. C., Vimalakanthan, K., & Carter, J. C. (2014). Understanding the roles of self-esteem, self-compassion, and fear of self-compassion in eating disorder pathology: An examination of female students and eating disorder patients. Eating Behaviors, 15(3), 388-391.
Krentz, E. M., & Warschburger, P. (2011). Sports-related correlates of disordered eating in aesthetic sports. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 12, 375–382.
Levine, M. P., & Murnen, S. K. (2015). Media and Eating Disorders. In The Wiley Handbook of Eating Disorders (pp. 379-393). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Mehler, P. S., & Brown, C. (2015). Anorexia nervosa–medical complications. Journal of Eating Disorders, 3(1), 11
Mehler, P. S. (2011). Medical complications of bulimia nervosa and their treatments. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 44(2), 95-104
Misra, M., Miller, K. K., Bjornson, J., Hackman, A., Aggarwal, A., Chung, J., ... & Klibanski, A. (2003). Alterations in growth hormone secretory dynamics in adolescent girls with anorexia nervosa and effects on bone metabolism. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 88(12), 5615-5623.
Mitchell, J. E., & Crow, S. (2006). Medical complications of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 19(4), 438-443
Muhlheim, L & Gans, S. (2017, October 6). Body Image and Eating Disorders. What's the Connection? Retrieved March 7, 2018, from https://www.verywellmind.com/body-image-and-eating-disorders-4149424?utm_source=emailshare&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shareurlbuttons
Peebles, R., Hardy, K. K., Wilson, J. L., & Lock, J. D. (2010). Are diagnostic criteria for eating disorders markers of medical severity? Pediatrics, 125(5), e1193-e1201
Picard, A. (2014, December 2). Eating disorders are a scourge in need of a strategy The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from https://www.theglobeandmail.com.
Psychology Today. (2011, March 11). The Deadliest Disorder. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-new-brain/201103/the-deadliest-disorder-0
- Psychology Today. (n.d.). Emotionally Focused Therapy. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapy-types/emotionally-focused-therapy
Public Health Agency of Canada. (2002). ARCHIVED: Chapter 6: A Report on Mental Illnesses in Canada – Eating disorders. Retrieved from Government of Canada website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/reports-publications/report-on-mental-illnesses-canada/eating-disorders.htm
Public Health Agency of Canada. (2015). Eating disorders in teens: information for parents and caregivers. Retrieved from Government of Canada website: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/healthy-living/eating-disorders-teens-information-parents-caregivers.html
Statistics Canada. (2015). Section D - Eating disorders. Retrieved from: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-619-m/2012004/sections/sectiond-eng.htm
- Sullivan, P. F. (2002). Course and outcome of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. In Eating Disorders and Obesity: A Comprehensive Handbook (pp. 226–232)
- Sullivan, P. (1995). Mortality in anorexia nervosa. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 152(7), 1073–1074
- Torstveit, M. K., Rosenvinge, J. H., & Sundgot-Borgen, J. (2008). Prevalence of eating disorders and the predictive power of risk models in female elite athletes: A controlled study. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 18(1), 108–118.