Pilot Support Group for Binge Eating Disorder
Calgary Silver Linings Foundation is launching a pilot support group for those struggling with Binge Eating Disorder.
Binge eating can become a horrible and destructive pattern that leaves people feeling stuck, powerless, ashamed, alone and hopeless. Feeling out of control around eating can turn something designed to bring us joy and nourishment into a scary, confusing and threatening experience. This 6 week group for individuals (18 years and above) is built on the premise that we are born with an internal wisdom around food but for many reasons it is easy to become disconnected from our own body and mistrust that wisdom. Binge eating develops when we attempt to meet our needs (e.g., emotional, for connection, physical and spiritual) with food. The group topics are developed to help you to enhance your self-awareness and identify your own personal binge eating triggers. Specific tools will be provided to help you to change unhelpful patterns and habits and to discover new ways to care for yourself and to meet your needs without food. Share wisdom with other group members who can relate to what you are going through and provide one another with ideas, understanding, helpful strategies and encouragement.
The group will help participants to:
- explore the link between deprivation (food restriction) and binge eating
- learn tools to tune into your body’s wisdom and start to identify your natural hunger and fullness cues
- identify the difference between physical hunger and emotional hunger
- gain self-awareness around your binge triggers, including; high risk situations, types of food and specific emotions (anxiety, sadness, loss, shame) that invite binging
- Discuss strategies to care for yourself, manage stress, find comfort and cope with your emotions without turning to food
- identify unhelpful thinking patterns that undermine your efforts to stop binge eating (i.e., perfectionism, all-or nothing thinking)
- learn how mindful eating or being present when you eat can help reduce out of control eating. How you eat is more important than what you eat.
This support group is not therapy and is not substitute for treatment.
Registration is now open.
Registered Social Worker
Starts Monday, May 13, 2019 (Victoria Day skipped)
Mondays 5:30 - 7:00PM
$100 / participant
12 Participants (a minimum of 6 registrations is required to run this group)
Participants must be 18 years old or older
There is a minimal registration fee of $100 for 6 sessions. Fees cover a portion of the cost of the group to the foundation (therapist, space rental, etc.) and is meant to make the offering of our programs sustainable over time
Cancellation 15 days prior to the start of the group is eligible for a full refund. Within 15 days of the start of the group, we do not offer a refund for cancelling.
Once the group is full, email us at email@example.com to be placed on the waitlist. If we have enough registrants for another group, we will contact you by email to register.